01 July 2009

Victorian Challenge Wrap-Up

Victorian Challenge

So technically this finished yesterday ... but I read all the books within the challenge period, so I’m not really late. (So much for getting organised. I wonder how many challenge wrap-up posts I’ve begun with words to that effect?)

I think the Victorian Challenge will end up being one of the best reading challenges of the year: the perfect excuse to reacquaint myself with old favourites with a couple of long-intended re-reads, and to enjoy new books by much-loved authors. In fact, there wasn’t a single new author on my list! (That’s something to look at in future - trying to include at least one new author per challenge.)

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë - A
Cousin Phillis and other stories - Elizabeth Gaskell - B+
Far From the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy - A
The Woman in Black - Susan Hill - B+
Barchester Towers - Anthony Trollope - A-

Nothing lower than a B+ - a fantastic result, one shared with the first challenge of the year. I wonder if I can keep this up?

Thanks to Alex for hosting this challenge.

No comments:

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776