09 July 2009

Library Loot

Library Loot











Case Histories
The House at Riverton
A Fraction of the Whole
The Night Watch

Case Histories - Kate Atkinson
The House at Riverton - Kate Morton
A Fraction of the Whole - Steve Toltz
The Night Watch - Sarah Waters

I’m delighted to have the chance to read A Fraction of the Whole - the last time I saw it on the shelves I was deterred by the sheer size of it, but today I decided to grab it while the need to leave room for a litre bottle of sunscreen guaranteed I wouldn’t borrow too much. I might save it for second last - the Kate Morton is going to be read last, since I only read her other one a few months ago. And if this one turns out to bear a whole string of resemblances to this year’s NaNo project, I’ll ... well, I don’t know what I’ll do, but I certainly won’t be happy while I do it!

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg.

9 comments:

Eva said...

I loved Case Histories and a different Sarah Waters I read. I didn't like The House at Riverton all that much though.

Blodeuedd said...

I am curious about Morton, I recently saw a book by her that I really wanted. Too bad it was gone seconds later

Passages to the Past said...

I'm interested in your thoughts about the Sarah Waters novel...I've always wondered about her writing.

Sarah said...

I loved Case Histories as well, and if you like it the next two Brodie books get better and better.

I have the Toltz in my TBR pile, I've enjoyed the bits I've dipped into but have been put off by the length. I must get to it soon.

Tiina said...

Hi! Night Watch is brilliant with a rather original structure, I hope you'll enjoy reading it. I haven't read the other books in your loot, but have many times thought of borrowing Case Histories. My problem with Atkinson is that I read Not the End of the World and loved it, and now all her other books somehow fail to impress me...

Greetings,
Tiina

Anonymous said...

I love Sarah Waters, and A Fraction of the Whole is on my TBR list, but I'm a little hesitant to start it because I've heard mixed reviews and it's huge.

Amat Libris said...

Eva: I've read some not-so-great reviews of The House at Riverton, but I'm still curious to see what another writer in my city is doing.

Blodeuedd: Isn't it awful when that happens?

Amy: Everything I've read by Sarah Waters I've enjoyed, and so far this one is just as good.

Sarah: I'd better get the titles of those two books, because I did love Case Histories! (I finished it the other day.)

Tiina: Maybe I should reserve Not the End of the World until after I've read everything else she's written! Just in case.

Shananaginsbooks: Physically it's the biggest book I've borrowed since Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell ... a bit daunting to think of getting through it all if I don't love it.

Kailana said...

That's the only Sarah Waters I have read so far. I hope you enjoy!

Marg said...

I know I am a week late but I wanted to say that I did like Case Histories, and the two books that followed it, and I like Kate Morton's writing as well!

I want to read Sarah Waters and Steve Toltz but I haven't borrowed him yet because I have a feeling that his books are all connected and I want to start from the beginning!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776