02 July 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Celebrities?

Suggested by Callista83:

Do you read celebrity memoirs? Which ones have you read or do you want to read? Which nonexistent celebrity memoirs would you like to see?

Uh ... do ex-politicians count as celebrities? Because I’ve read Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (read, and not reviewed ... *gives self slap on wrist*) I looked for that because it sounded like an interesting story, but in general I rarely read autobiographies of any description. I don’t take an interest in the private lives of celebrities; I don’t even read the gossip pages of the newspaper; and if I’m going to read about someone else’s life it’s probably going to be a biography of a person who’s been dead for over a century.

Are there any I want to read? My automatic response was None, until I read Violet’s post and was reminded of Desert Flower by Waris Dirie, which I’ve been wanting to read for years.

As you can probably guess, there aren’t any I’d like to see written.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only ever read celebrity biogs., when someone else pushes one on me saying I have to read it, mostly they are a waste of trees.(I think I have only read 4 in about the last 5 years) One exception was Sting's autobiography, which my Mother-in-law insisted I read and I was glad she did as it was actually a pretty good read, extremly well written. I don't really get the interest in celebrities. I'm sure there must be some good biogs., out there, but there are also so many other good books and time is short. A friend has told me I must read Dawn French's biog, so I might. None I want to see written.

JoAnn said...

I loved Infidel!

Shari said...

I prefer biographies too. And if I do read an autobiography, I prefer it to be someone with a talent for writing and deep thinking. Oops, I guess I'm just a book snob!

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of Infidel. I'm not against memoirs of Celebrities and it's not that I absolutely won't read them. They have have to be something more than their movie careers :)

I hope we both get to read Desert Flower someday :)

Schatzi said...

Yes, a celebrity would have to be pretty remarkable for me to want to read their memoirs, and most people labeled as celebrities just aren't that remarkable.

Amat Libris said...

Book pusher: A waste of trees - that makes me glad I've never read any!

JoAnn: So did I . . . and I really must get around to telling everyone else in a review.

Shari: If having standards is being a book snob, then I'm one too!

Violetcrush: If you're interested in Desert Flower I'd definitely recommend Infidel.

Schatzi: I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776