22 September 2009

It’s Tuesday, Where Are You? / Teaser Tuesdays

It's Tuesday, Where Are You?

I’m treading the streets of Soho in 1854, hunting the source of a violent outbreak of cholera. The scientific establishment is convinced that epidemics are caused by miasma - bad air - but I hope to find evidence to prove my theory that cholera is carried in the water.

Teaser Tuesdays TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:

  • Grab your current read.
  • Let the book fall open to a random page.
  • Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
  • You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from - that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!

As Snow and Whitehead made their calculations that Wednesday, they were still thinking in double-digit figures. They would soon discover that those numbers were shockingly optimistic.

Both from The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson, p. 155.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting. It doesn't have anything to do with fairy tales does it? That was the first thing I thought of when I read Snow and Whitehead. Maybe not. My head is always kind of in fairy tales! Great tease!

JJ said...

Interesting character names. lol Thanks for sharing..

Here is my TT:

http://gahome2mom.blogspot.com/2009/09/teaser-tuesday-think-no-evil-by-beiler.html

Lisa said...

I had the same reaction to Snow and Whitehead. Interesting teaser - I'll be looking forward to the review.

My teaser is here.

Andrea said...

Hmmm...great teaser!
Here's mine

Wendi said...

Ooooh - that doesn't sound good for them. . .

Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

Amat Libris said...

Sorry, not fairy tales ... non-fiction history! (Well, maybe someone will excited by the prospect of an interesting history book.)

gautami tripathy said...

That title is good. And I do like to learn abou history.

Teaser/Whereabouts Tuesdays: Tintin and Cigars of the Pharaoh by Hergé

Jenny said...

Sounds very And the Band Played On. I want to read this book a lot...if only my library would get it in.

Allison said...

I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds interesting! Thank you for introducing a new book to me.

Here is mine, if you should be interested: http://www.wellreadreviews.com/blog/?p=979

Have a great day!

Nise' said...

This has me intrigued!

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

I like real stories like this where people make breakthroughs that affect the lives of so many people. It's nice to see a good non-fiction teaser. Good for you. I should do that once in a while.

Lisa said...

this sounds interesting

Hre's mine

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776