30 November 2007

Booking Through Thursday: Rolling

Do you get on a roll when you read, so that one book leads to the next, which leads to the next, and so on and so on?

I don’t so much mean something like reading a series from beginning to end, but, say, a string of books that all take place in Paris. Or that have anthropologists as the main character. Or were written in the same year. Something like that… Something that strings them together in your head, and yet, otherwise could be different genres, different authors…

Uh ... no. Often something in the book I’m reading will remind me of something in a book read days or weeks or months ago - I even posted about the phenomenon - but I can’t recall it happening with consecutive books. I read a lot of different things and try to jumble them up - most recently, following a spy novel with Rumpole - so that might be why. The occasional exceptions are challenges that involve reading round a theme, but I’m not sure that counts since it’s done consciously. (Although earlier in the book-to-movie challenge I found myself reading a lot of non-challenge books that had been adapted: The Remains of the Day, Harry Potter #1, The Maltese Falcon, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest....)

But in the sense of the first part of the question, I have been of a roll of late with a case of Pottermania, spending ten days ploughing through books 3 to 7. (I went to the library before my last exam in search of #3 and found all the rest on the shelves as well. Luckily I’d brought a library bag so I could take full advantage of the situation.) Which explains the recent dearth of posts. (Well ... they were really good. And I really wanted to know what happened.) And now that I know, I can finally go and read what everyone else thought of Deathly Hallows. :-)

3 comments:

CeeCee said...

I just love a good series. Let us know what you thought of the Harry books.

Anonymous said...

I often get onto a genre/author/topic kick for a short while, but other than that I just read whatever comes to hand.

Literary Feline said...

Sometimes I get on a roll, but I do prefer to mix things up. Variety is good. :-)

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776