16 November 2007

Booking Through Thursday: Preservatives

Today’s question comes from Conspiracy-Girl: I’m still relatively new to this meme so I’m not sure if this has been asked yet, but I’m curious how many of us write notes in our books. Are you a Footprint Leaver or a Preservationist?
Write ... in ... books? I’m turning pale at the very thought! I’ve never even used a pencil on a textbook, I’m that fanatical. If I come across pencil notes in a library or pre-loved book, I’ll erase them; and I’ll never buy a secondhand book that’s marked beyond repair. Dogears or spines that are cracked or in need of glue, fine, but notes in ink, never. Pencil I will tolerate, but ink is a sacrilege. To me, books are valued friends to be loved and cared for.

(Just realised - this is post #200! Blogging time flies when you’re having fun.)

9 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I read Decision at Delphi some 15 years back. Although I don't remember the story but I do remember liking it.

I still have it somewhere around.

Chris said...

Congrats on 200!

You are really strict. I don't write in books either but will buy a mrked up book (only if it's the only choice and I really want it).

Literary Feline said...

Happy 200th post! You are a true preservationist. :-)

Marianne Arkins said...

Woo hoo! 200 posts :-)

And, I'm with you... mostly. I DO write in non-fiction or textbooks, to help me remember important information. But never, never EVER in fiction.

Happy BTT!

Lesley (El Zed) said...

Happy 200th from another Aussie. Glad to hear you're such a preservationist!

GeraniumCat said...

Surely no one could even consider writing in ink in a book?! I ranted about people writing in library books and yes, they sometimes use ink.

Congratulations on your 200th post!

Lisa said...

I highlight in textbooks and some other nonfiction books, but I don't ever write in fiction. I'm not sure exactly why. I guess for me, nonfiction is purely utilitarian. I would NEVER write (in pencil or ink)in a library book. That is destruction of property and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law! Sorry, I guess that's a little strong. Did I mention that I'm a librarian?? :)

heather (errantdreams) said...

grats on your 200th post!!

Halie said...

Never! But I like to read what notes have been left by others -- it's like getting inside their mind!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776