28 December 2007

Booking Through Thursday: Highlights

It’s an old question, but a good one ... What were your favorite books this year?

List as many as you like … fiction, non-fiction, mystery, romance, science-fiction, business, travel, cookbooks … whatever the category. But, really, we’re all dying to know. What books were the highlight of your reading year in 2007?

The highlight would have to be finishing the Harry Potter series at last. I exceeded expectations by getting to the end only a few months after the release of #7, and the books made a perfect post-exams treat. Also on the list:

Cross Stitch and Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon
The Alienist - Caleb Carr
Daughter of the Game - Tracy Grant
The Maltese Falcon - Dashiell Hammett
The French Lieutenant’s Woman - John Fowles
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Doomsday Book - Connie Willis
Persuasion - Jane Austen
North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
Dracula - Bram Stoker
I Knit Water - Craig Bolland
The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson
Buried Treasure: Travels Through the Jewel Box - Victoria Finlay

And that’s just the really good ones of the ones I’ve read so far. See . . . I knew my list-keeping would prove useful someday!

10 comments:

Literary Feline said...

In a way, I feel like I've been right there alongside you in some of your reading, having read many of your reviews that past year. :-) It's definitely been a good year for reading.

Alix said...

I read Cross Stitch for the first time this year and loved it!
I really enjoyed the Constant Princess too

Anonymous said...

One great list. A few are on my TBR pile!

I have read Persuasion, Dracula and Notes from a Small Island!

My list!

karen! said...

I've enjoyed looking through your list.
Happy new year!

Julia said...

This been an interesting list...

I love Diana Gabaldon's books and have read them all except A Breath of Snows and Ashes. I just haven't gotten around to reading it. It just take long two weeks for me to finish it, so I want to wait until the mood strike or the summer.

Great list and Happy BTT !

Anonymous said...

I re-read Persuasion this year, too - my favorite Austen.

Last year, I listened to Notes from a Small Island on audiobook and it was terrific!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Interesting List. Have you read any other books by Kazuo Ishiguro? Remains of the Day isn't my favourite of his, The Unconsoled is one of my favourite novels, though entirely different from anything else he's written. I also really enjoyed When We Were Orphans (is that the right title?).

Grominou said...

The Remains of the Day is in my top 3 books read this year, along with Harry Potter 7 and The Thirteenth Tale by Diana Setterfield!

Happy 2008!

Chrisbookarama said...

Gabaldon's books are some of my favorites.

Carl V. Anderson said...

You've read some incredible books!!!

I picked up a copy of Maltese Falcon at the bookstore the other day and held it in my hands, admiring the fantastic cover. I think I'll pick up a copy sometime next year, but I was being good at the time, trying not to buy a book until I'm ready to dive right into it.

Dracula, yay!!! One of my absolute favorites.

I never read The Alienist, but I listened to it on audio, it and the sequel, Angel of Darkness, and they were so intense and interesting. It annoys me that they are not out on CD, only cassette, as I would buy them immediately.

I'm going to go and look up some of your other books right now and, I suspect, will be adding many to my Amazon wishlist!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776