06 May 2007

Book Review: Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

Banned Books Challenge #2

Lady Chatterley’s Lover Constance, Lady Chatterley, has what seems like an ideal life: marriage into the gentry and a fine home on the profitable estate of Wragby. Then her husband Clifford returns from the First World War in a wheelchair, and the changes this brings out in him slowly creates a gulf between them. He becomes absorbed in his writing and the workings of his colliery, while she stagnates in boredom and apathy. An escape finally presents itself in the form of an affair, with a man not only married, but a servant - her husband’s gamekeeper. Oliver Mellors has spent enough time in the army to learn to mimic the speech and manners of society, but also to despise it; the job in the woods offers a hermit-like solitude away from the world. But the world intrudes in the form of his estranged wife, determined to get him back. Ensconcing herself in his cottage, she discovers his secret and begins trumpeting it to anyone who’ll listen. Mellors is faced with the choice of losing either Connie or his sanctuary; and a pregnant Connie must decide whether to stay at Wragby with a husband she doesn’t love but will raise any child of hers as his own, or braving the censure of society in order to follow her heart.

Reading this book it was easy to imagine what a shock it must have created back in the 1920s. The characters don’t just have sex, they think about it and talk about it, with a good peppering of four-letter words. Connie’s choice of lover must also have raised a lot of eyebrows - a servant! (Horror of horrors.) It was a great choice for the Banned Books Challenge, having been blacklisted for decades before landing its publisher in court on obscenity charges. I had to admire the guts it must have taken to bring such a work into the world at such a time, and am very glad I read it; it really is a landmark achievement of literature.

In terms of readability, it started out well and promised to be much more interesting than Lawrence’s Sons and Lovers, which I started several years ago and got thoroughly bored with. But by the halfway point, the book was beginning to drag, largely due to Lady Chatterley herself. She was so passive, just letting things happen to her and not doing a thing to change the dull routine of her life. At first her character was well-drawn enough that I didn’t mind, but it went on too long. The start of the affair was Mellors’s doing, not hers, and even when she actively sought him out it was only because she couldn’t help herself and didn’t have the willpower to resist the urge. She also became unbearably clingy, constantly needing reassurances as to his love for her, his knowledge of her love for him, and the fact of their having a future together away from Wragby. She dragged the pace of the book into a decrescendo such that thirty pages from the end I was already mentally raiding my TBR box for a book with a much more spirited heroine.

Rating: B-

6 comments:

Chris said...

I read Sons & Lovers a few years ago and you're soooo right- boooorrrrinnnggg. I barely got through it. I always wondered about Lady Chatterley. Thanks for the review.

Amat Libris said...

And to think Son and Lovers made the essential 1,001 list! Whatever criteria were used, they obviously didn't include readability.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know, I think your blog is wonderful! I'm always looking for other book reviewers and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your opinions on what you read. :)

Anonymous said...

no way... you guys got bored with Sons & Lovers??? yeesh that book blew me away. The psychology going on in that book is so real you can reach out and touch it and the characters are so rich...

@coversgirl... I thought it was one of the most readable classics I've tackled. It's a hell of a lot more readable than other classics like Naked Lunch or even the superb Cancer Ward or equally brilliant Invisible Man books I thought. Let me guess... you had to read it for high school or something? Or is it just that it's set in a mining town in the UK and all our Brit slang got in your way ;-)

I have to tackle Chatterly at some point though so I'm glad it didn't get less than a B- at least.

Chris said...

arukiyomi- I think for me anyway it was the writing style. One scene blended right into the next. It was hard to "see", like reading through dirty glasses. lol. I also thought the mother/son thing was too weird for me. I read it for book club.

Still, I like Lawrence more than Henry James.

Anyway, there's a book for every reader!

Amat Libris said...

Arukiyomi: I haven't read those other books, so I can't compare. I did not have to read it for high school (although now you mention it, I'm having a hard time remembering any that I did have to read that I enjoyed! Except Shakespeare). I can't recall exactly what it was that annoyed me; I think just general dullness. Psychology's great if I'm actually interested in the characters; but if I'm not I need a good plot to keep me going. And in Sons and Lovers very little happened very slowly.

Chris: Well said! (Though I love James!)

Sarah: Thank you!

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
Header image shows detail of A Young Girl Reading by Jean-Honoré Fragonard, c. 1776